19 December 2008

My random career

My career feels like a constant search for more, for meaning.  Then to be moved back and forth by circumstance.  If I did not initiate change, would I have been here anyway?

I started working and frankly would have done any office work just to earn money.  I was given administration tasks, but then I got bored.  Turned out I did care what I did after all.  3 years later I asked to move to Debtors, doing reconciliations and admin, I wanted to be where the action is, I wanted to do something that matters. 

I build internal relationships quickly and after 2 years I got entrusted with more admin work related to trade and stock.  Moved away from people contact and I got bored again.  I wanted to start studying and after giving it a go, decided finance is not for me.  I had to move.

I requested a transfer to the Planning administration role to put me right in the middle of all the action.  I implemented processes and procedures to streamline the business process.  We then changed systems and had little management reports available to run the business.  I worked with IT to get reports required by the business.  Things quiet down again and I got bored again.

I then made my transition to IT being involved in Business Analysis work and believed that Project Management is what I wanted to do.  After consulting a coach, I realised that project management and business analysis is driving me crazy and not in line with my strengths. 

One common denominator is focusing on the important things that need to be done, and designing dashboards.  The following notes:

Macro Environment
Competitors
Levers of success
Legislation
Direction / Strategy
Statistics

'   ' of balance
Some situations are either/or, measure on gliding scale:
A -----------------------------------------------|----->--------------------- B
| Goal, > Current State

Free Trade -----------------------------------------------------------------regulatory


first step to successful career is to know who you are, and what are your values:


OPENNESS
  • Eager to learn
  • Willing to teach
INTEGRETY
  • Do what you say
  • Live by conviction
HONOUR UNITY IN DIVERSITY
  • We are all one
  • Communication & understanding
SMILE
  • Pleasant to be with
  • be with others who are pleasant

No comments: