17 November 2007

LiveCareer (Do what you love)

After completing the livecareer assessment, I have come to the conclusion that I have no idea what I'm good at!

Well, the problem is, you make selections of various jobs what you like best and least in specific situations and it calculates you most probable preferences.

But I keep catching myself answering based on my current skills and now what I would like to do. Thus, it is based on the premise that you already do / is skilled in your preferences. I mean really, how do I select between jobs/tasks I haven't even tried yet?

Maybe it is because one of my strenghts (Strenthfinder) is Learner. I love a combination of different interests, I don't want to select just one or two.

For what it's worth, I guess it was good enough to make me think. Here is a link to the exercises if you are interested.

My Highest Interests: Writing 98, Science 96, Assertive 94, Systematic 72

My Lowest Interests: Personal Service 0, Sales 5, Food service 7, Health Service 28

My Workplace Fit Graph

















This looks pretty much in line with what I'm currently doing.
So why am I still looking for something else?

The one thing (and I would say the most important thing) that came out of this assessment is my love for writing. That is one of the reasons I started this blog, to give me a place to express myself in writing.

SKILL vs. TALENT

A good friend of mine at work (thanks Charlie) had the brilliant idea that people should start thinking of themselves not just in terms of their function (job description) at work and the skills they have to do those functions. We should rather think of ourselves in terms of our talent, the things we do naturally, and the role we play by living out our talent.

For example, my function at work is to ensure business are provided with their technology needs. My skills however are in report writing, coordination of tasks, project management etc.

My talent is to bring people together to work towards a common goal solving business problems with technology and helping the team to understand one another.

My role is to be an ambassador for change, a leader that others can follow, a motivator in times of stress, provider of a positive outlook when the future looks dark, a philosopher when guiding myself and others to follow a set of values and ethics, a creator of new things when previously there was nothing.

So in other words, if you look at yourself in only 2 dimensions, your life at work becomes as flat as the piece of paper that contains your job description. When you realise your 3 dimensional potential, to grow upwards, the piece of paper becomes your base from which you can grow into something much larger than life!

Want to do the assessment?

http://www.livecareer.com/?cobrand=CLEAR

No comments: