Without knowing it, I've placed a difficult task on your shoulders from the beginning. I was hoping that you would alleviate the fighting between your new brother and sister, and with your presence help them to get along. What I didn't know is that I've put you in an environment that caused you to choose between them. It was a nowhere situation with two dogs trying to be top dog, and it left you in the middle of it all. Which ever way, you did it, and the fighting stopped.
I want to tell you that I'm sorry. No matter my initial intentions, your soft and good heart changed my life forever. you were so selfless, asking for so little, accepting so much responsibility.
You have protected your brother until the day he died, you would step in between him and other dogs in the park that was potential threats. You stepped up, bravely and without a thought of your own safety. And so you successfully defused many situations.

I don't know how to describe how much I love you. Sometimes I was not sure who was the mother, and who was the child. You were my protector, my comforter, my friend. You were the ultimate peacemaker where ever you were.
And in the later years, even though you had so much pain to bare, you pushed on and shared your love with us and your grandparents in such an unselfish way, that we will never forget your tender love. We also know, chances are that we will never be able to experience such dedication ever again.
I miss you... I miss your warm neck, where I could bury my face when I didn't want to face the world, I miss your gentle sigh confirming your content with your life, your excited bark when you know we're going for a walk in the park, your reserved excitement when you wade into the water... any water. Your 'zen' eating habits, picking up one pallet at a time, and savour each one as if it's the tastiest snack you had in a long time. You know, dogs normally turn about 3 times before they lie down, but you would turn, and turn, and turn, and scrub, and move the blankets until it is just right!
I regret not being with you in the last six months of your life (as I knew I would), but I also know that you forgive me and that you understand now why you couldn't come with us. My greatest fear for leaving you behind was that you would die alone on a cold vet table, having no one to comfort you. That fear was forever banished when on the early morning of 10 March 2009 you went peacefully in your sleep. Once again, doing the selfless act of letting go, because you know your grandparents will not have the heart to do it for you.
Thank you for being part of my life for 12 years, my gentle giant. I know that when ever I'm afraid, you would watch over me, facing the threat, ready to protect me with your life. I wish you joy where ever you are now, and where you may go next.
Play, my sweet puppy, play!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment